How to Prevent Electrical Fires in New Jersey
According to the National Fire Protection Association, 47,700 fires that were caused by an electrical problem were reported to the U.S. Fire Department. Many of these fires led to serious injuries or fatalities, and most of them could have been prevent. Keeping your New Jersey home’s electrical system as safe as possible should be one of your biggest priorities, and it can help you prevent a fire in your home.
There are many different electrical problems that could lead to an electrical fire, some of which include:
- Wiring and related equipment
- Lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs
- Cords and plugs
- Transformers and power supplies
Making sure that your home’s electrical system is in good condition is the best way to prevent an electrical fire from occurring, but that can be more easily said than done. The New Jersey electricians at Zo Electric LLC recommend that you have regular electrical safety inspections performed on your home, and you should also look out for these warning signs:
Old or Outdated Wiring
Electrical wiring systems have an average lifespan of 30-40 years, but around a third of homes in the U.S. have had the same wiring systems for more than 50 years. If your New Jersey home’s electrical wiring is outdated, you’ll see a few signs that you shouldn’t ignore, some of which include:
- Circuit breakers that trip frequently
- Fuses that frequently blow
- An over-reliance on extension cords and surge protectors
These things should be temporary solutions to problems. If they become a normal part of your home, you could be at risk of a serious electrical fire. Call our professionals to have your wiring inspected, and we can help you determine whether you need to have all or part of the wiring replaced.
Electrical wiring made from aluminum was commonplace throughout the 1960s and 1970s. However, aluminum oxidizes very quickly and that oxidation can lead to corrosion. So while aluminum is adequate for a short time, it has an unfortunately short lifespan, and once it starts to corrode, your New Jersey home will be at risk of an electrical fire.
It’s possible that your entire home will need to be rewired, but most of the time, you’ll only need to a partial rewiring. In either case, you should have a professional look at your wiring as soon as possible.
Arc faults occur when an electrical current veers away from its intended path, and they are a leading cause of electrical fires.
Arc faults may occur when a tree falls on a power line, or they could occur because you damaged the wiring in your walls by moving furniture. Any number of things can cause arc faults, so it’s very important to ensure that you are protected from them.
Arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) will detect any arc faults in your New Jersey home’s electrical system. Especially in older homes, these devices can easily prevent major disasters.